Board Development for
Nonprofits & Foundations
Want your board to work better?
Invite them to do better work.
Power up for lift off with Board Booster.
Do you need Board Booster?
Your board appreciates the value of ongoing learning and development.
Board culture isn’t healthy, board-management tensions are high or board isn’t satisfied with its own performance.
New CEO or executive director? New board chair? Transitions are perfect times to revisit culture, norms and operating agreements.
Organization poised for growth
The board that got you here may not be the board to get you there. Build the board you need for the future you want.
Does your board…
- Spend meetings checking email, stepping out for phone calls or otherwise distracted?
- Listen to updates, then rubber stamp management plans without challenging or enhancing them?
- Focus only on fiduciary responsibilities?
- Lend their names, but not full talents, skills, experience and expertise?
- Have limited exposure to the true status and challenges facing the organization?
- Advance personal agendas over organizational priorities?
- Lack the trust necessary among directors or between directors and CEO/executive director to lead effectively?
With Board Booster, your board becomes…
- Fully engaged and fully leveraged to advance your mission
- One that asks tough questions and engages in strategic and generative thinking
- Strong partners for the CEO or executive director
- Effective advocates and promoters for your mission
- Owners of their work
- The “shot in the arm” your organization needs to grow
- Leadership you need to realize your desired future
Board Booster Process
- Kick-off meeting
- Shared definition of success, key outcomes
- Timeline and milestones
- Materials review
Mind the Gap
- Board Work Session
- Mind the Gap Assessment
- Analyze and prioritize gaps
- Action plan
- Board Retreat/Work Session
- Meeting Makeover
- Early Wins
- Congruence Checklist
- Board Chair coaching
- One check-in/re-alignment session (within first 12 months)
Mind the Gap Assessment
Meeting Makeover Kit
Individual & Collective Commitments
Norms & Operating Agreements
Recent Board Development Clients
Success Story: JF Maddox Foundation
In 2015, the JF Maddox Foundation, a New Mexico-based family foundation, began to transition governance to the third generation and transition more day-to-day responsibility to staff. This change came after decades of leadership and foundation management by second generation members. The Foundation held its first board retreat in four years in 2018 to address the natural growing pains and delegation challenges associated with this leadership transition.
The Foundation hired CSR Communications to design and facilitate the three-day retreat. Effective retreat design included absorbing the history and current status of the Foundation; interviewing staff, directors and emeriti directors; and balancing a long list of desired outcomes with the available timeframe. The Board left the retreat with a working set of board norms; new language, processes and tools to enhance board meeting effectiveness; deeper understanding of and appreciation for staff; and a commitment to engage in strategic planning to move them forward.
“Nancy’s work with us – from designing and facilitating our board retreat to coaching me on effective board leadership and offering specific tips for better meeting management – is concrete, productive and innovative. She supports practical solutions that have created a real breakthrough in our communication as a board. As a result, our meetings are more effective and efficient. With her new frameworks for governance and decision-making, we continue to improve and solidify as a board.”